Gitbox Culture

Musings on guitars, guitarists, guitar styles and approaches, technical matters and guitar design by a professional guitarist with a Ph.D in ethnomusicology. Also covering electric bass, lap and pedal steel guitar. And what the hell, banjo.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Aub.

I just did a Google search and found out that one of my guitar teachers in Burlington, Aubrey Rolfe, passed away in 2006 in his eighties.  I have nice memories of going to lessons in his little studio (attached to his home on Drury Lane), where he would bring out dog-eared music sheets for me to work on.  Aubrey did everything through notation.  No rote-learning or tablature (which was still pretty rare at the time) for him.  One of my friends who also took lessons with him told me that he taught Steve Winwood how to play guitar back in England, but I couldn't find any confirmation of this in my search.
Aub was a nice man and a fine guitar teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,
    I just read your mention of Aub - A great guy whom I knew many years ago.
    Maybe we could exchange recollections by direct e-mail?
    Cheers - Dave
    adsk90 (AT) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete