Gitbox Culture

Musings on guitars, guitarists, guitar styles and approaches, technical matters and guitar design by a professional guitarist with a Ph.D in ethnomusicology. Also covering electric bass, lap and pedal steel guitar. And what the hell, banjo.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Marshall Class 5: my new amp.


I bought a new amp yesterday.

I've been using an early Fender Pro Junior for several years, lately with a Hughes and Kettner Red Box between the speaker and the amp so that I can run a signal out to a small powered PA speaker for more headroom on stage.  This setup has worked quite well for me, since the Junior doesn't really have the cut with a drummer on stage.  At the same time it's too loud for certain applications where I want a bit of breakup.

But all of that is in the past, because I stumbled on the Class 5 yesterday. The Pro Junior has been giving me a lot of trouble, necessitating expensive repairs every six months or so for the last two years.  First the input jack broke (it was plastic), then the tube sockets separated from the circuit board, then the tube sockets stopped engaging the power tubes. I finally decided after the latest mysterious crackling noise to retire it and get a new one, thinking that it was my only option.

When I saw the Class 5 in a local used guitar store, I thought that it must be some sort of hybrid solid-state Marshall and I wasn't really interested.  But the price was right and when I realized that it was a Class A all-tube amp, I gave it a run with my Tele, which I had brought with me. I couldn't believe how good the amp sounded. I can't recall playing through an amp that was so responsive to the volume knob on the guitar.  It's sweet and nasty at the same time. I really love a clear, transparent overdriven tone (like an AC30) and the Class 5 has that, but it also has an aliveness that reminded me somewhat of Neil Young's tweed Princeton tone.

At another store later in the day, I did a side-by-side comparison with a Pro Junior and the Vox 4 watt amp.  There was really no comparison in tone, though the Pro Junior is certainly louder.  It was not a pleasant loud, but it was loud, and I wonder if the Class 5 will cut through drums enough for me to use it on stage without the Red Box and the PA speaker. I certainly hope so, but I'm prepared to beef it up if necessary. The Marshall's tone is just so musical and I can't wait to put it through its paces in a variety of live situations. I'm bringing it to a 50s rock and roll gig today - I'll report back.

This is my first Marshall - I've owned a succession of Fender amps - and I have to say that I am very impressed with the design, tone and build quality of this amp. It's also light as a feather and has badass white piping and silver grille cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment