Gitbox Culture

Musings on guitars, guitarists, guitar styles and approaches, technical matters and guitar design by a professional guitarist with a Ph.D in ethnomusicology. Also covering electric bass, lap and pedal steel guitar. And what the hell, banjo.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Earning my "Badge"

Working today on some of Eric Clapton's music. I was only a casual Clapton fan up to about six months ago, when I bought the Complete Clapton set. I've been working out of the excellent transcriptions in the accompanying book Complete Clapton (Guitar Recorded Versions) from Hal Leonard. I've found Hal Leonard's guitar stuff to be of consistently high quality.  Unfortunately some of the eighties songs are reprints of transcriptions done back then, and they're not as nice. I guess that comes with the territory when you're dealing with a career retrospective.
I remember seeing published note-for-note Clapton transcriptions quite early in that 'movement,' probably the book (Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3) that matched the boxed set. Incidentally, that boxed set, released in 1990, was one of the first really successful CD boxed sets as I remember.
So work continues on "Badge." I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment